Electrical - Should I be concerned?

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical - Should I be concerned?
From: "Blair J. Weiss" <blair@ifd.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:20:22 -0400
So I am putting my 78 B back together after a long drawn out rebuild.
Finally  put the dash back in and all the connections... what's left? go buy
a battery... just for giggles, I put a voltmeter on my old battery 11.97V...
hum.. a little weak, (it's been sitting 3 years) but hasn't lost a cell.
Hum...

Turn the key... no click, click click.... take the cover off, hit the points
with sandpaper... no click, click, click.

Check the voltage to the pump at the terminal in the boot. got voltage.

Take the fuel pump out connect to battery charger... clickity, clickity,
clickety... must be bad ground.

Put fuel pump back in place. Connect battery, manually shove fuel pump
ground into neg. post of battery... clickity, clickity, clickety...
alright... turn the key... it started in 3 spins after been sitting 3
years...  turn backwards from the drivers seat and look through the battery
box at the fuel pump and happen to see a drip of fuel. shut it down.
Disconnect the batter neg. post.

OK... so I want to see which hose is leaking... for some reason, I held the
ground lead from the fuel pump to the neg terminal of the battery with the
normal battery ground strap disconnected... the result was as if I turned
the key to the on position, the interier lights came on and so did the dash
dummy lights.. and the fuel pump started clicking... so... I put the neg
battery cable back on the neg battery terminal and held the fuel pump common
to the battery... nothing... so it appears the electricals act normal when
the ground lead is connected to the battery, but with just the fuel pump
ground to the battery, for some reason the whole ingnition systems seems to
turn on?

Blair Weiss
80B
78B