Block Mods

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Block Mods
From: "RICHARD BOES" <csrb7007@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:48:08 -0400
Listers,

During an ongoing restoration project (and eng O/H), we've tested three
cylinder heads which were all cracked (#2 & 3 exh ports) to the extent that we
ended up replacing the head with a new one.  While discussing the problem with
the machinist, he pointed out that MG blocks aren't drilled w/ water ports on
one side in the vicinity of #2 & 3 cylinders (whereas the head is cast w/
ports) which can create potential hot spots.

My immediate thought was this isn't something I'm gonna do.  Has anyone heard
of this being an answer for one of the many potential cooling problems?

FYI - The block has been acid cleaned and the radiator, water pump and fan
system will be replaced with new.

As always, we appreciate the feedback,

Dick - '79B Father/Son project