stumbling

To: mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: stumbling
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:10:01 -0500
After a week of hibernation (part rain, part bad dealings with a painter
for my house), I took the MG out to drive to work this morning.

To start with, I have converted the car to HIFs, and couple of weeks
ago,
when I was messing around with some wires at the firewall,
apparently, my
choke cable shifted and touched the exhaust manifold. Melting it into
a little
mess and stopping me from being able to pull the choke.

So, it's about 1 1/2 miles to the highway. And though it took some
cranking
to get it started this morning without the choke, I did get it. By
the time I
got to the freeway, the water temp gauge was reading out of the blue
area
of the 'C'. Another 1 1/2 miles, go by and I start getting some
stumbling.
It rev's ok, but when there is a load, it's not so good. This is
about 60 mph.

Oh, btw it's a cool morning 55F (12-13C). Naturally, I'd just past
the exit. So
I continue on another mile, turn off and take surface roads the way
back home.
It had no problems there.

I'm thinking this is just poor warmup, and when I get the new choke
cable (came
yesterday), installed, all will be fine.

Anyone have any other theories?

There's a chance I could find the hour I'd need to get under the hood
tonight,
otherwise, it's more likely to be the weekend. :-( I guess I gotta
give up on that
sleep thing...

School starts for the boys today.

    _______     Paul T. Root