Re: vacuum?

To: sumton@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: vacuum?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:11:16 -0400
Oliver,
  Your 1973 car should have a vacuum advance unit, but it's on the side
of the distributor, a sort of  1/2 inch thick disc with 1/8 inch tube
protruding, and a knurled nut through which a small threaded rod passes.
A  vacuum line should run from it to a fitting on the intake manifold.
Check Fig B.5 in the Bentley manual for the distributor drawing, and Fig
2  of the Crankcase Emission COntrol chapter 2  (page 402 in my copy) for
its connection on the manifold.   That skinny tube crossing from intake
manifold over the rocker cover is the vacuum line to the distributor.
   Getting the vacuum advance working will make the car drive much better
than without it.
Bob