Re: Horn work intermittently

To: <DMatt21502@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Horn work intermittently
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:21:07 +0100
Before doing anything that might damage the switch you can do some
electrical tests, as the problem could be at the fusebox or the horns.

1.  First does the interior light work usually, but go out when the horn
button is pushed but the horns don't sound?  If so the problem is in the
fusebox with the purple fuse or its connections.

2.  Otherwise connect a voltmeter between the purple/black at the right-hand
horn and a known good body ground, and you should see 12v.  Now push the
button and when the horns don't sound do you still see 12v?

3.  If it drops to zero do the same test but this time with the voltmeter
connected to the purple at the right-hand horn.  If this drops to zero the
problem is back towards the purple fuse.  If it stays at 12v it would be a
horn problem, unlikely if both are intermittent.

4.  If test 2 still shows 12v locate the purple/black connector in the
multi-plug that feeds the column switch and do test 2 again both sides.

5.  If both sides show 12v when the horn doesn't sound then connect the
voltmeter to the black wire coming out of the stalk, or the mounting bracket
if there is no visible wire.  If this shows any voltage when the button is
pushed then the problem is a bad column ground.  I have this on my V8 with
the later collapsible column and have had to install a relay as mine is a
permanent high-resistance connection rather than an intermittent
open-circuit.

6.  If the black or mounting bracket still shows 0v when the horn doesn't
work then dig into the stalk switch and say "That is what I wanted to do in
the first place".

PaulH.