Coil help please

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coil help please
From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:57:34 -0700
OK, probably a dumb question, but I am not knowledgeable about ignition
coils and ballast resistors. On my 79 B, the original electronic ignition
module and distributor were removed and replaced with a 45D contact points
distributor by the previous owner. The system still has the coil resistor
and the ballast wire connected to the coil, so I assume they are still
intact and in the curcuit.

The car would sometime, especially after being driven for some time, develop
and occasional misfire. It was not a regular misfire, just a sort of
intermittent, instantaneous hesitation. There did not seem to be any regular
pattern. Recently, this misfire became much more pronounced. The engine
would cut out for several seconds, then pick up again, only to cut out again
a few seconds later. On the day this happened, the car barely limped home
the last couple of miles.

Suspecting a loose wire or a crack in the distributor cap, I checked the
dizzy out carefully. All wires were clean and tight, the point gap was
properly set, and the cap looked good. After these tests, the car would
still misfire, even at idle speed. Out of frustration, I traded out the coil
for a new Lucas sport coil I had on hand for my '57 A. With the new coil in
place, the engine runs beautifully. The car runs like a top now. However,
that coil is NOT recommended by Moss to be used on a ballasted ignition
system.

So, after a long-winded description, the question is: will the use of this
coil cause damage to the ballasted ignition system? Will the coil fail
rapidly? What am I jeopardizing by using this coil?

Thanks

Howard

'54 MGTF
'57 MGA