Re: LED lights

To: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>, <LBCarCoMail@aol.com>
Subject: Re: LED lights
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:12:25 +0100
Well, as far as I'm aware they all 'clink, clink'.  But the modern
electronic OE units wouldn't be any good either.  Both old and new types are
designed to work with two and two only bulbs (or equivalent loads), and both
are designed to give an audible and visual warning of bulb failure.  The
older units stop flashing and leave the remaining bulb working as we know,
the modern units flash at double speed.  With the load of just a pair of
LEDs they would be flickering away like billy-oh.  The only flasher units
that *might* work with a low load like LEDs are those after-market units
which don't have a failure warning mode, and which are a serious safety
hazard as a consequence.  I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting in a lane
waiting to turn across traffic with the flasher unit going 'clink clink' and
the tell-tale flashing away as it should, not knowing that nothing was
flashing at the back (or front).  Without an equivalent load you would need
a third way (designed by Blair, perhaps?) of flashing a pair of very low
current LEDs whilst still giving an indication of bulb failure.

PaulH.