Head Gasket

To: "MG Mail List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head Gasket
From: "John DiFede" <difejo@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:00:02 -0700
Malcolm,

  I've used Permatex "Copper Spray a Gasket" when replacing a head gasket.  My
machinist recommended it.  It comes in a spray can.   The copper particles are
"intended to fill minor irregularities and is especially effective in sealing
non absorbent surfaces".  The can also states that "it is designed to improve
heat transfer and eliminate hot spots"  I have heard others say that they will
use aluminum spray paint with similar results.   In the past you could
purchase a copper head gasket set for a few $$$ more than the silver colored
head gasket set.  I always felt the copper was the better gasket.  I am not
sure if the copper head gasket set is still available.  There was/is a copper
competition head gasket sold for big $$ 70-85.00.

Last time I replaced  my head gasket, I noticed it starting to weep coolant
between #1&2 on the right side.  Re-torqued the head and cured the problem.

Check out this link.

http://www.team.net/www/mg/tech/twist/jt-tech1.html

John DiFede
73 MGB