Electrical question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical question
From: "Philip Jones" <philip.s.jones@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:33:38 -0700
Hi all.  I'm helping my dad re-install the engine in his '74 BGT.  (He
replaced the transmission, and while the engine was out, pressure-washed the
engine bay).  We're having some electrical issues, with two primary
symptoms.  The first is that the solenoid appears to activate (clicking)
when the key is turned to the "start" position, but the engine does not turn
over.  For that one, I'm advising him to check the battery connections, both
at the starter end and at the battery end.  The other symptom is a little
unusual - when he turns the ignition to the "on" position, the tachometer
jumps to ~3000 rpm and stays there.  It does not appear that the wire to the
coil was disturbed during the work, but for some reason, I'm leaning towards
something there . . .

Any feedback/suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil