troubleshooting brake servo

Subject: troubleshooting brake servo
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:27:55 -0800
When I bought my car in 2000, I noted that the brake servo was
disconnected and plugged.  I never questioned why.

Now that I have the luxury of my new Subaru, when I drive my B, the
pedal pressure required feels far more extreme than it used to be
(now I understand why my brother accused my car of having "broken
brakes").

Mind, the brakes haven't changed a bit; just my impressions.

So, since I do have that servo, it seems a waste to not use it if it
works.

6 years later, I am finally asking why...  Is there a simple
troubleshooting/diagnostics for servos I can go through?  Beyond
"connect things up and make sure the engine still runs", what do I
need to look for?