Re: lift (a different approach)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lift (a different approach)
From: palte@gmx.net
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:49:08 +0100
Von: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
An: mgs@autox.team.net
Betreff: lift

> we are seriously looking at putting in a lift, in a standard ceiling'd
> garage.
> i would like to know if anyone has any recommendations or cautions
> thanks!

Quite a different suggestion:

Why don't you look at a secondhand one for professional use?
Changing standards (OSHA and similar) make old car lifts
cost next to nothing.

In 1989 or 1990, I bought a four-post lift, capacity 3500 kg, for something
like $ 250 - and it suits me well! I still use it today.
Made by Koni, the shock absorber company.
Year of manufacture: 1957 (Whitworth bolts and nuts still used).
At the time, I gave Koni's Service Dept. a telephone call and they even sent me
drawings of the lift.
It is not intrinsically unsafe - it is just that the standards have changed and
a workshop may not use it any more,
but since I'm not a professional, that does not bother me or anyone else who
uses it.

Advantage   : It looks VERY professional, it is very heavy
Disadvantage: It is a bit sloooow...

Bert
70 B
Holland, Europe