Re: general carb icing question

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: general carb icing question
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:13:17 +0100
Icing on carbs comes from the fact, that for evaporating of the fuel inside
the carb heat is withdrawn from the carb housing. On top of this when in
winter the weather is damp, the outside of the carb will reach temperatures
below freezing point, because of the heat is making a very cold carb
casting. The dampness will condense on the carb housing and form an icy
layer. This event even may occur when the normal air temperatures are quite
above the freezing point.

You can try to prevent this happening by having the carbs protected in
winter time by getting just a little air flowing around the carbs, but
beware it is important not to obstruct the air inlet of the carbs.

Do not forget to remove this protection in summertime, as you may end up
with the vapour lock event caused by too hot carbs.

Cheers,

Hans

1971 BGT

P.S. Merry Christmas & happe new year to all listers!