Re: Motor Mounts

To: "Valda and Merl Rosenthal" <mvrose@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Motor Mounts
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:41:42 -0600
The steering rod is in the way, it needs to be removed.
It's hard enough without the rod in the way.  I suppose you
could try to mount the mount to the car before lowering the engine
onto it. But when I did it, I had the mounts attached to the engine.

Some people use the shim plates on a late car to lean the engine over
a bit so the foam air cleaners will fit on an SU conversion. Not sure
on the backing plate. I don't remember.

Paul.

On Dec 27, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Valda and Merl Rosenthal wrote:

> I am getting ready to install the engine on my 1980 MGB.  When
> removing it
> this summer, I found it very difficult to get the engine out
> because it
> appeared it was wedged between the front motor mounts.  In order to
> release
> the engine, I used my hack saw and actually cut the rubber mount in
> two to
> release the engine.  I found 2 shim plates (each >1/8) between the
> motor and
> top of rubber on the motor mount,  In addition, I found  a square
> backing
> plate but do not remember if it was between the body and the bottom
> of the
> rubber motor mount or if it was between the bottom of the motor
> mount and the
> securing bolt.  I have looked in my manuals and can not find where
> they talk
> about the shims or the backing plate.  The Moss catalog shows a
> plate (91a)
> that goes between the engine and rubber mount.  Could the addition
> of shims
> been causing the difficulty to release my engine?  Also, What is
> the trick in
> installing the bolt on the driver side motor mount because of the
> steering rod
> is in the way.  I have installed the rack and pinion and would
> rather not
> remove it unless I have to.
> Any advise would be appreciated.

    _______     Paul T. Root