UK drivers - petition to change Historic Car Tax

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: UK drivers - petition to change Historic Car Tax
From: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:29:47 -0000
As I'm sure most UK members are aware, historic cars are exempt from
paying road tax. This used to be for all cars older than 25 years, but
one of the first things the Labour govt. did when it came in (clearly a
priority, above sorting out education, health, housing etc. etc.) was to
freeze the exemption at 1st Jan 1973 :grrr

Our beloved Tony has, on the No. 10 website, the ability to set up and
sign petitions. There is currently a petition to change the law, to set
a more recent date - it is petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/ . It is
doing pretty well - it is number 25 (out of 1838 different petitions),
so I would encourage as many classic car enthusiasts as possible to add
their names. At the very least, it will force a ministerial response to
justify the current situation.

Sorry, you have to be a UK resident (or a UK citizen living overseas) to
sign, so help from our overseas friends won't count.

The fact that my car misses the cut-off by 5 months is entirely
co-incidental, and has no bearing on my enthusiastic support for this
change...

Richard

Daffy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)
R.I.P. Sammy ('78 Inca Yellow Spitfire)

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return E-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use
or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Please note that E-mails are susceptible to change.

The Penspen Group shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. The Penspen Group does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.