Re: [MGS] NEW TOPIC: tire sizes

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] NEW TOPIC: tire sizes
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 19:59:38 -0700
Most people today would consider 155R14 too small, and would substitute
165R14 even with "OEM repro" tires. The 165/70-14 is going to be smaller in
diameter than the 165R14, as the 70-series tire is lower profile than the
original. This is why people recommend the 175/70-14 -- to get the diameter
back closer to spec. Another approach would be a 175R14 -- this is actually
taller, which increases ground clearance and decreases revs at speed, albeit
inconsequentially. But the 175/70-14 is easier to find.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149