[MGS] Shipwright's disease

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [MGS] Shipwright's disease
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Friends,
   Shipwright's disease has set in at casa Lindsay.
Alas, I shall explain.
   About a week ago I reinstalled the newly rebuilt SU
carbs on my '70 MGB.  I cleaned, refinished and
lubricated the accelerator cable then reinstalled it.
Upon reconnecting the choke cable I discovered that
there was no 'continuity' between the cable and the
handle in the cockpit!  The handle pulled off in my
hand with no cable attached.  Okay, no big deal.  I
have a new choke cable assembly in the parts box, left
over from previous MG repairs.  I decided to just
change out the inner portion of the cable.  Then I
realized that the outer jacket is ugly.  So why not
change the whole assembly?  As I began to examine the
things that must comm off and out to reach the choke
handle mounting nut I realized that access would be
easier with the console binicle removed.  That got me
thinking about refinishing the dash.  That got me
considering the instruments and switches, all of which
are dirty and discolored.  That got me thinking about
rebuilding the instruments, etc..  Pretty soon, I was
removing the steering wheel ring for better access to
the dash.  I then decided that I needed to restore the
steering wheel.  Sooooo, the disease had by then, a
solid hold on me.  Now my interior is disassembled and
the steering wheel is on the workbench being
completely restored.  FWIW, I still haven't replaced
the choke cable. :-o

rick