[MGS] Refinished steering wheel

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [MGS] Refinished steering wheel
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 07:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Friends,
   Last weekend I refinished the '70 MGB's steering
wheel (except for the hub).  Earlier I wrote a post
describing finding an undamaged but discolored rubber
rim on my car's steering wheel when I removed the PO's
faux-leather wrap.  The rubber is undamaged and became
the subject of the first phase of restoration.  The
wheel spokes were also rust-pitted, front and back.
MG plated the steel spokes with 'something' but over
the years rust pits came through the plating.  I'm
sure you've seen the same.
   I used ScotchBrite to clean away the rust,
'sanding' only in the direction of the factory brush
marks.  Alas, the pits were too deep so I decided to
go deeper with sandpaper on an orbital sander.  That
tool leaves a tooled finish if done gently.  The
bottom line is that my spokes are too pitted to remove
the marks completely.  I decided that to make the
finish look best, I would go for the 'clean patina'
look rather than 'new' look.  I carefully cleaned
everything and was ready for refinishing.
   I first lightly painted the rubber rim with black
flexible bumper paint.  When that cured I masked the
rubber bits with gentle-release masking tape and
sprayed the spokes with clear-coat.  With the masking
tape now removed the look is quite nice.  The wheel
doesn't look new because of a little discoloration on
the spokes, but it does look very clean.
   The center decoration on the 1970 cars does not
carry the horn push but rather, it is a decorative
molded rubber ring with a plastic insert carrying the
MG logo.  I refinished the rubber bit with the same
bumper paint so that it would match - and it does
beautifully.  The center plastic bit was scratched as
one might imagine, after 37 years of life.  Still, I
polished it with increasingly fine paint polish until
the surface sparkled like a new part.  Reinstalled in
the rubber surround, it looks new.
   All those parts are now ready to reinstall on the
hub.  I haven't removed the hub yet because I didn't
want to disturb the alignment.  Still, I need to do so
to refinish it.  I'll probably use a semi-gloss black
paint but I am pulled toward wrinkle black.  The whole
steering column and wheel hub in my Ferrari is
finished in wrinkle black and the look is
way-industrial.  Its all exposed in that car.  No
facia around the column.  Originality will win the
battle though and I will paint the hub semi-gloss
black.

That's it for now.  Back to work...

rick
'70 MGB Tourer