[MGS] Re: Dash refinishing

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [MGS] Re: Dash refinishing
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 05:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
> I also put a coat of vinyl paint on the console,
> over the primer:
> http://www.aubard.us/MGB/console_01.jpg .

In the picture linked above, the paint is still wet
and glossy.  It later cured nicely to a semi-flat
finish.  Once completely dry I installed the
switch-gear, lamp and lighter.  I used dabs of RTV on
the rear to prevent the lighter attachment from
unscrewing and on each switch assembly to hold the
switch in the bezel.  A light spray of clear-coat on
the lighter handle returned the shine to the Bakelite
surface.

I made a slight electrical modification.  I am
changing the courtesy light to the older style with
the integral switch.  That step eliminates the need
for the switch on the console - as I planned.  I now
use the switch next to the lamp as a fog light switch,
using the old hazard lamp indicator as a 'fog lights
on' reminder.  I then redesigned the hazard circuit to
use the other switch, using the turn signal indicators
to monitor the hazard blinking, more like modern cars.

I also bought an inexpensive Sony car radio.  As you
can see in the picture, some PO cut the opening for a
DIN-size radio.  Tonight, given a little time, I will
install the radio cage in the console.  And I will
then take a picture or two.  The PO installed speakers
in the rear bulkhead and tiny little speakers in the
knee panels forward of the console.  All of these
speakers are damaged.  I'll just use new full range
speakers in the rear bulkhead.  I'll replace the knee
panels with new upholstery, probably without speakers
of any kind.

regards,

rick