Re: [Mgs] 175/65/14 Tires for MGB???

To: <FlynShoot@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 175/65/14 Tires for MGB???
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:35:44 -0600
I have been out of town the past week so I am a little late with my
response. I am currently running fairly new 175/65-14 tyres on my 67BGT.
My 72B on the other hand is running 175/75R-14 tires. The 65 aspect
ratio shows as the tires definitely look a bit smaller than normal but
otherwise they handle well for me. Because they are not as tall, the
clearance of the car has been lowered a very small amount so it is a bit
more likely to ground out on speed bumps or other higher clearance
objects although I haven't really seen that problem. An on-line tire
calculator does indicate that the tires have introduced a small (<5%)
speedometer error, assuming the Smiths gauge is accurate to begin with.
I went to the 175/65s to replace the no longer available 165R-14 tires
that were on the car.

I believe the closest size, in terms of speedometer accuracy, would have
been the 175/70s if they are/were available although I haven't seen them
in Montana. Personally, I would opt for the 175/75s rather than the
175/65s just for the larger look and the slight increase in clearance. I
have tried to stay with the thinner tires although I have heard the 185s
should work without rubbing. There are some schools of thought
concerning advantages/disadvantages of width (175 vs 185 or 195) so the
optimal tire may depend on driving conditions. My car sees a fair bit of
snow and the thinner tires are supposed to give better traction under
those conditions or so I have heard.

I mentioned I was out of town. I took a 400 mile trip (one way) to the
western part of the state, Montana, northern USA. I actually did see a
RBB MGB, parked off the road about 2 miles south of Victor. It is for
sale, appears to be owned or maybe being sold at a store called Country
Treasures (as it sat in front of the store). I didn't see a price and
the car was in a field that was a bit muddy so I didn't get too close.
It had a fairly good condition tan top, no obvious rust, but the gas cap
was missing so the filler hole was taped over with a clear tape (I
suppose duct tape would have looked better). MGs are quite obscure
around here in Montana so there is a chance the car could go fairly
cheap to anyone interested in or planning to vacation in the area. The
only other LBC I saw was a TR6 heading west of Missoula in a rain storm
(I was in the wife's Volvo).

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B