Re: [Mgs] It's come time (Scimitar for sale)

To: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@ncr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] It's come time (Scimitar for sale)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:26:18 +0100
Not quite wheels, they are very similar, but not exactly the same.  I had a
Scimitar many years ago, and a brilliant drivers car it was too.  Mind you,
that was after I had owned it for a year, it took me that long to get it
fully sorted, the previous owners had not looked after it and it seemed to
break down almost every time I took it out.  Hoses were the big problem
originally, after the third failure I decided to replace all the rest
regardless, I'm sure there were about a dozen in all.  The first went when I
was taking my bosses boss through the wilds of Lincolnshire and we stopped
in a cloud of steam.  I looked around and in a field could see what looked
like a farmers water bowser.  Climbed the gate and rooted around in the
hedge and found an empty fertiliser bag.  Took that across to the bowser and
filled it with water, then we both carried it back to the car and filled the
radiator.  It was a heater hose that had split, and all I had was some
insulation tape which at least stopped the water running out.  I left the
radiator cap off so it didn't pressurise, and like that we got to the next
garage, where we found a length of hose that would fit.  My passenger said
he was more impressed with my ingenuity than annoyed at the breakdown.  On
another occasion a head gasket went - and this is the obligatory MG content.
They are composition, which has to bond to the head and block with heat
before you add coolant, so you run it up dry first.  I'm just nearing the
end of a Midget 1500 head gasket replacement and that needs doing the same
way.

PaulH.