[Mgs] Thank you, with pictures

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Thank you, with pictures
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 07:34:38 -0700 (PDT)
Happy Saturday morning,

   Thank you to the List member who shamed me into a
complete brake rebuild rather than just fixing an
obvious problem!  Let me show you a part that was
still working and NOT on the corner that failed:
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0676.JPG .  Notice the
tear in the hose next to the metal end fitting!  This
hose 'looked' just fine, if dirty, when on the car
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0653.JPG .

   The rebuild of the front left corner started with
the removal of the brake parts and hub assembly
thereby yielding two systems to attack; the brakes and
the axle/suspension.  Here is a picture of the stub
axle and suspension with cleaning in progress
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0682.JPG .  I've gotten
no further than this stage on the suspension.
   Earlier I posted a (link to a) picture of the hub
components.  Here's the link
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/LeftFrontHubParts.jpg .  I've
since placed most of those components into a Zip-lock
freezer bag along with a dose of oil.  A few parts
that had rusted and are now cleaned up, are painted.
I also pre-packed the bearings to protect them from
rust http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0679.JPG .  (I live
in Houston where humidity is at 101% 24/7 so bare
steel is always at risk for rust.)

   The caliper pistons were (mildly) stuck in their
bores but were freed up with a little blast from the
air hose.  The pistons and their bores were cleaned
and found undamaged.  The piston seals and dust
excluders were in sad shape
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0680.JPG .  Rebuild kits
have been ordered.
   With everything cleaned on the caliper, inside and
out (The caliper was NOT split.), I applied a coat of
paint, using a yellow-cad color
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0675.JPG ,
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0677.JPG and
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0678.JPG .  When the new
rubber arrives I'll carefully reassemble the pistons
in caliper.

   Brake and suspension work is DIRTY work.  My home
is new and trashing the garage floor is not a popular
option.   A plastic shower curtain liner makes a cheap
tarp to carry away that nasty, greasy debris.  The
workbench has not survived as well.  Time for a big
clean-up http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0681.JPG .

   So again, thanks to the listmember who encouraged
me to do a rebuild, not just a repair.

Regards,

Rick Lindsay
'70 MGB Tourer