Re: [Mgs] New Harness has arrived

Subject: Re: [Mgs] New Harness has arrived
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:45:33 -0400
   I buttoned it up tonight, and drove it around the block.
   I was already aware of the need to fully engage the bullet connectors,
   and  find that careful use of a small needle nosed pliers works well -
   don't  crush  the wire though!  I also went for a little overkill in a
   few  places  behind  the  console  where the radio goes, and where the
   original  problem occurred - I slipped a three inch long piece of heat
   shrink  tube over the connectors, snapped them together and shrunk the
   tube...
   Also  took  great care to dress wires neatly and out of the way. Every
   existing  connector  or  spade  was  cleaned,  dielectric  grease used
   everywhere.   A  really  nice  job,  worth  taking  the extra time. My
   install  looks  every  bit  factory  done.  A  new  fuse  box was also
   installed.
   My  lights  are  nice  and  bright.  I had meant to order all new dash
   illumination lights, but I wound up using the old ones since I forgot.
   I  also  installed  the  new(er)  speedometer I purchased and that has
   solved  my jumpy speedometer problem which has irritated me since I've
   had the car. Plus I now have a working trip odometer to boot!
   Now I can get back to wrenching on the Midget...
Marc

   Paul Hunt wrote:

It should do, the bypass circuit really only comes into play under adverse
conditions and poor state of tune.  If you have the original solenoid with
the extra spade you can simply add the wire, or if the solenoid doesn't have
the spade you can replicate the function with a relay, or if you know what
you are doing a diode.

The time delay unit and its predecessor (the sequential system that
interrupted the starter circuit) go back to 74 so it sounds like you have a
harness for a different market, as I'd expect there to be more differences
if it were for a US car earlier than that!  If that is the plug is the only
difference it shouldn't have any knock-on effects.

PaulH.