Re: [Mgs] MGB Clutch Problem

To: "dannyvarnado" <dannyvarnado@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB Clutch Problem
From: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:58:59 +0100
The random nature sounds to me VERY much like the master cylinder need
rebuilding/replacing.  Less likely to be the slave cylinder, if that had
an intermittent seal you'd be losing fluid, and you say the reservoir is
full (I assume that means you haven't had to top it up?).

I just went through my clutch system - had to replace the slave because
the bleed nipple snapped off rather than turning :-(.  With the new
slave it just wouldn't bleed successfully.  I blamed the master and
replaced it - still wouldn't bleed right.  Until I turned my brain on
and noticed that the bleed nipple is at the bottom of the slave, so any
air in the slave cannot get out!!  Removed the two bolts holding the
slave on, tipped it so the bleed nipple was uppermost, bled a nice load
of air out, re-fit slave, all is fine now!!  Spent 50-odd quid replacing
a M/C that was probably perfectly OK :-(.

I guess most people out there already know this, but I thought I'd
mention it in case anyone didn't!

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT, came to work with me today now the
clutch is working)
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return E-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use
or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Please note that E-mails are susceptible to change.
The Penspen Group shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. The Penspen Group does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.
The following UK companies within the Penspen Group and any electronic
communication sent on behalf of any of them, are subject to the provisions of
the UK Companies Act 1985;
PENSPEN HOLDINGS LIMITED (Company Number : 980600) Registered Office: 3 Water
Lane, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1TJ Registered in England and Wales (VAT No; 239
7770 19)
PENSPEN LIMITED (Company Number: 584446) Registered Office: 3 Water Lane,
Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1TJ Registered in England and Wales (VAT No; 239 7770
19)
(Unipen, Penspen Integrity and Andrew Palmer & Associates are operating
divisions of Penspen Limited and Spencer & Partners and Pencol are trade names
of Penspen Limited)
MANCHESTER JETLINE LIMITED (Company Number: 2392093) Registered Office: 3
Water Lane, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1TJ Registered in England and Wales (VAT No;
537 8635 08)