Re: [Mgs] Paper or Felt Oil Filters

To: <Wilkmanracing@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Paper or Felt Oil Filters
From: "Michael Singleton" <Mike@sportscarslimited.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:04:11 -0700
Actually, the people who have noted an increase in oil pressure are probably
seeing the result of increased resistance to oil  flow in the system.
Whether or not it filters better is a conversation that should be taking
place. None of the more modern filters are of the felt style. That being
said, the MG engine is a very old design, dating to the early 50's with
tolerances to match. Modern engine designers, including those who are
working on designs which date to the same time, are working with improved
machining methodology, materials, etc. which have led to a more precise
piece of machinery. Additionally, oil change intervals have gone from 3,000
miles to something like 7,500 miles. I would be more than comfortable with
any modern filter design. Especially since the oil change interval should be
kept to 3,000 miles, or once a year, which is hardly long enough to lead to
the kind accumulation of dirt and metal detrious that will do the engine
harm.

Mike

Michael Singleton
Sportscars Ltd