Re: [Mgs] Ignition light always on, low glow

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Ignition light always on, low glow
From: palte@gmx.net
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:23:13 +0200
> During the weekend the Ignition light on my 71 MGB GT has started
> showing a light glow all the time, at all engine speeds.
> Is it time for an Alternator rebuild?

If the light is glowing only slightly, one of the diodes may have gone
and then the rectifier pack has to be replaced.
This is not really a DIY job, but then it is not that urgent.

If the light stays on like it does when you have just switched on the ignition,
then it is most likely that the carbon brushes are shot (BTDT).

They can be replaced easily and cheaply by yourself (BPF: $5)
(You need a 1/4"AF socket to remove various covers)

Bert
Holland 70 B