[Mgs] new question

To: Batans List <members@batans.ca>
Subject: [Mgs] new question
From: Malcolm Jeffcock <msjeffcock@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:32:23 -0300
Well that started a lot of debate when it wasn't intended. For those of you in
the US I am in Nova Scotia where we have government control to some
extent--weekly there is a designated minimum and maximum price set for
retailers. Where my bewilderment comes from is on our pumps we have a little
pie chart indicating a break down of the price-so much by percentage for
crude, so much for taxes, so much profit etc. That's where I get puzzled since
for our market there is a theoretical  for crude costs and our dollar has
increased significantly one would not anticipate the increase we have had if
the government set percentages hold true...when I look at the price rise I
would have no troubles with it at all IF we had had no change in our dollar's
value vs. the currency in which the purchases are made....we saw the opposite
in Nova Scotia a couple of decades ago when the Halifax Bridge commission had
financed the debt for the two spans over the Halifax harbor in German
marks--our dollar went  down in comparison to the mark and we, to be blunt,
got screwed in repaying as it took more dollars to buy the marks to pay with.
Now we have the opposite situation but same result...

For those of you who have debated the issue of government control I would not
say its been a hugely successful venture here. A second puzzle to me is how
diesel can at times cost more than regular when the cost of refining is much
less---not a new subject for debate just an annoyance since I have Jetta
diesel...

            Back to things MG/LBC and sorry to have hijacked the lists!

                                       Malcolm