Re: [Mgs] MGB O/D Driveshafts

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB O/D Driveshafts
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:13:19 +0100
I've been in contact with the original designer of the MGB gearbox, OD,
propshaft and rear axle who I just happened to bump into in Belgium earlier
this year and kept in touch with.  He has sent me some specification
drawings and data that includes all the MGB variants.  That's the good news.
The bad news is that although on the drawing the overall flange to flange
measurement is given the code of FFC, that isn't listed in the table
although the tube lengths, tube diameters and flange diameters are.  One
thing to note is that whatever the measurement turns out to be, it is
measured from the inner portion of the flange that stands proud of the part
the bolts go through, i.e. the overall length, and not from the outer ring
of the flanges that contact the gearbox/axle flanges.

The tube lengths are given as:

Banjo 4-speed 20 9/32"
Banjo OD 21 17/32"
Tube 3-synch 4-speed 21 17/32"
Tube 3-synch OD 22 9/32"
Tube 4-sync 4-speed and OD 21 17/32"

FWIW tube diameters are all 2", and flange diameters 3 7/16".

That at least should help Bob with his three prop-shafts, and I'm waiting to
see if my source has the missing dimension elsewhere.

Also FWIW Midget MkII 64/66 is given as 23 1/2", 1 3/4" and 3 7/16"
respectively.
Midget 66 on as 23 1/2", 1 3/4", 3 7/16".
Midget 1500 74 on as 20.06", 1.75", 3.44"
MGC as 19 1/4", 2", 3 13/16".

PaulH.