Re: [Mgs] Head Gasket Sealer

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Head Gasket Sealer
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:54:32 +0100
I used Wellseal on my V8, but that was with steel shim head gaskets.  Are
Payen composite?  In that case it is a different process altogether.  My
Scimitar GTE had these and more recently a friends Midget 1500.  The process
there is completely the opposite and to make sure both head and block
surfaces are scrupulously clean.  Then fit the head and torque down
normally.  Then run the engine with no coolant until it gets quite warm to
the touch, not red-hot.  Then allow it to cool overnight, retorque (by
backing off each nut in turn to get it moving then up to torque), fill with
*water* i.e. not anti-freeze solution but don't fit the radiator cap, then
run again to Normal on the gauge.  Then allow it to cool overnight again,
retorque the same way as before, drain, fill with the appropriate quantity
of neat antifreeze, top up with water, fit the cap, and away you go.

If Payen aren't composite disregard all the above ...

PaulH.