[Mgs] BGT problems

To: MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] BGT problems
From: RampantNM@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:17:12 EDT
OK, I've had a problem with the BGT overheating for some time.  I  drive
about 25 miles one way to work.  The car starts and runs fine, about  4-5
miles
into the drive it hits 200 degrees..190 degree thermostat, aftermarket  add on
temp guage I ASSUME is correct.

In the next 5-10 miles it bounces around 200 to 220 degrees, and for the
last 5 miles pushes 230+.  I end up coasting down hills to keep it under  220
until I get to work.

I thought maybe it was a timing problem.  So I bought a newly rebuilt
distributor and installed it yesterday.  I tried to be careful and keep the
same
orientation as the old distributor that had been set at 11 degrees  BTDC.  The
car started well, and ran great, but in less than five miles was  bumping
220!

I have an appointment with a radiator shop to build me a new radiator,
perhaps with more rows, and to move the pusher electric fan to a puller
position.
But he can't get the car in until the 23rd of October.

By the way, I've noticeds a quirk in the electric fan.  As I pull up  to park
and turn the engine off, I can hear the fan start up...as if it has not  been
running until I stop.  Also, the temp probe for the fan is at the  bottom of
the radiator.  Wouldn't it be more accurate at the top?

TIA for any helpful suggestions.

Regards,

Robert B. Houston
63 TR4
74.5 MGBGT
73 MG  Midget

b&Reminds me of my safari in Africa, somebody forgot the corkscrew  and for
several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. W. C  Fields