Re: [Mgs] BGT problems

To: <RampantNM@aol.com>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] BGT problems
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:43:45 -0700
Robert:

STOP! Do not pass go, do not go to the radiator shop.

The stock MGB radiator is more than capable enough for the car. You
don't have to go modifying the heck out of it.

We run a supercharger and air conditioning on a 1973 MGB with totally
stock radiator. It topped out at 215 degrees pulling a really steep
grade outside of San Luis Obispo at 70 mph.

The first thing I would do is get an infrared thermometer and use it to
check that the thermostat is opening correctly. This will also check the
accuracy of the add on gauge.

The cooling fan whether mechanical or electric is only going to make a
difference at low speeds. So if the car is overheating at normal driving
speeds either the thermostat is not opening correctly, the radiator is
clogged, or the engine has some major problems.

Installing a super thick radiator is only addressing one possible
problem, which is the plugged radiator.

Kelvin Dodd

BTDC.