[Mgs] Rear brake locked

Subject: [Mgs] Rear brake locked
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:58:11 -0500
Hi Gang,

   I cranked up our '69 B one day last weekend and when I began to back
it out of the garage it felt like the emergency brake hadn't completely
released.  So I get it into the driveway and move it forward.  Hah!  The
brakes released.  Hmmm, what happens if I reverse it?  Did so.  The rear
brakes applied themselves.  Well, I'll be...  Went through several
forward and back reiterations, same thing.  Put it back in the garage
and went in the other car.

   Did a little trouble shooting a few days later.  Isolated the problem
to the right rear brake.  Pulled the drum expecting to find a broken
spring on the trailing shoe but could find nothing wrong.  Shoes look
OK, drum isn't scored, etc.  Since it was up on stands anyway, looked at
the other side too.  Same story.  After reinstalling the drums, found
that if the brakes are adjusted for a little drag when turned forward,
they wanted to lock up when turned backwards, both sides.  If backed off
a notch, all OK.  How 'bout dat?  Thing is, if the adjustment is left
the way it is, the E-brake doesn't hold worth spit.

   Now it's been a record rainfall year and we haven't driven the car
much.  Humidity has been pretty high but the car is usually garaged.
Could it be that the brake shoes have soaked up a little moisture and
are grabby as a result?  About all I can figure to do is go for a long
ride with some hard braking scattered about during it to dry things out,
then readjust the rear brakes to see what happens.

   Anyone else ever run into something like this?

   Cheers,

    CR