Re: [Mgs] ATTN: Californians

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ATTN: Californians
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:13:49 -0700 (PDT)
--- Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Many car enthusiasts are against this bill, by the way -- they want
> maintain the current situation where an "original CA black plate
> car" means something.

So what *does* it mean?  Don't most states require all vehicles
to get new plates every few years when the design changes or
the reflective coating is assumed to be degraded?  Would the
presence of an old plate on a California car "mean" that it
had recently been found in a barn, or what?  Anyway, whatever
it means it would be meaningless outside of California since
the plates would have to be replaced.  Here in Washington,
you can register a classic car with any set of plates from its
year of manufacture.  No one here would assume that those plates
have been on the car since it left the showroom, because the
state requires old plates to be replaced every few years.
That's why it's a coup to find plates from the year of
manufacture.  How is California different?

BTW, the plates on my MG were never issued - a collector
found a few sets in an old Auditor's office that was being
torn down.  My car is the first and only one to carry that
number - now *that's* unusual.

Picture: http://tildebang.com/mg/images/trim-32-1.jpg

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com
http://mail.yahoo.com