Re: [Mgs] valve cover gasket

To: Matthew Milkevitch <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] valve cover gasket
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 10:21:01 -0800 (PST)
Hey Matt,
   Like others will say; there are tons of methods recommended.
Here's my two cents.

- If the gasket is not deformed from packaging and
shipping, you can probably install it dry.  To do so, you need to have both
surfaces perfectly clean.

- many times the gaskets are a bit deformed and
jump out of the groove when you try to do them dry.  Again, make everything
clean as can be then cement the gasket into the valve cover.  I have some odd
bits of plexiglas about so I use that flat surface to hold the gasket in place
until the cement is somewhat dry - and holds the gasket adequately.

- I would
not put sealant on the gasket-to-head connection - ever.  If the gasket won't
seal, the problem is a bent cover or a dirty surface.

Best,

rick - lots of
valve jobs - lindsay