[Mgs] rack question

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] rack question
From: "Monte/Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:09:11 -0600
This afternoon I found that my 79B was leaking oil from the bottom cover of
my steering damper.
 I removed the lower cover plate and started draining the oil so I could
clean everything up before using silicone to make a new gasket. I moved the
steering wheel back and forth to facilitate draining the fluid quicker which
caused the end of the steering pinion to protrude a few inches beyond where
the end cover is supposed to keep it.  I'm sure the threads at the end of
the pinion disengaged from the rack at some time while I was moving the
steering wheel back and forth. Can I just tap it back into place, or do I
have to allign something first?
Thanks,
Monte