Re: [Mgs] rack question

To: "Monte/Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] rack question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:26:02 -0000
If the pinion teeth (not threads) fully disengaged from the rack then its
possible they shifted position as well.  If they go back in a different
position the steering wheel will not be in the same rotational position when
the car is travelling straight ahead as it was before, and the turn signal
cancelling positions will also have altered.  Both of these can be corrected
by altering the position of the UJ relative to one or other of the steering
column or rack shafts.  On my cars one of the shafts (rack, I think) only
has a notch for the UJ clamping bolt which means the UJ can only fit
relative to this shaft in one position.  The other shaft has a groove going
all round the shaft and this is the one you must make the adjustment on.
However others have said both their shafts have the groove, which means you
could make the adjustment at either end of the UJ.  Other than that I don't
think it matters how the pinion engages with the rack.

PaulH.