Re: [Mgs] Overdrive swap

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive swap
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:21:17 -0700
The wiring is as Max says. Essentially just one wire (hot) which
connects to the OD on a switch. The switch then has a wire to go to the
solenoid. This switch only completes the circuit when the car is in 3rd
and 4th gear.

This hot wire then needs to go to a switched circuit that allows you to
turn the OD on/off. That's on the 68-74 OD. I'm not sure the circuit on
the later ODs because they use a switch on the shifter I think. But on
the 68-74 OD, the wire could connect to a yellow wire in the harness
that goes to the switch that is incorporated as part of the stalk that
handles the wipers although not all stalk mechanisms have the OD part
built in. That's how I did my 72B until the OD went out. On my previous
car, a 71B, I had run the wire from OD on to a switch on the console,
one of the cheap BL plastic switches (an extra fan switch I think).
Anyway, that should give you an idea. Likely no need for a harness, just
a 14-16 gauge wire.

I also used an OD drive shaft but that may not be necessary as the
lengths are not vastly different on the drive shafts.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B