Re: [Mgs] Overdrive swap

To: <johnhed@comcast.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive swap
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:07:19 -0000
If you get an OD from any 4-synch car i.e. any LH-type it should physically
fit as the prop-shafts were the same length on all 4-synch OD and non-OD
cars.

If you get one from a rubber bumper car, with a blue Laycock label instead
of a black, then the speedo ratio will be the same as yours.

No 77 to 80 car had OD-specific wiring in the main harness as the manual
switch was on the gear lever (and when OD-specific wiring *was* in the main
harness it was yellow and not purple).

Being an 80 you should have Transmission Controlled Spark Advance (TCSA) and
the gearbox switch for that also controlled the OD, and limited it to 4th
gear only.  That is a function of your gearbox, not the OD.  Unless you
change internal components relating to the gear shift you won't get OD in
3rd as well as 4th, and I doubt many have done it.

The TCSA gearbox switch should have a white going down to it from the fuel
cut-off inertia switch, and a yellow/red coming off the other side going
back into the gearbox harness up to the TCSA solenoid.  Take a connection
from the yellow/red to the manual switch on your gearlever, then from the
other side of that to the solenoid.

If you don't want to replace the gear lever you will have to provide a
manual switch elsewhere, and run a wire up to it from the previously
mentioned yellow/red, and back down again to the solenoid.  You could save
some of that by 'stealing' the TCSA wiring, but I'll leave that for the time
being.

PaulH.