Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

To: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:32:14 -0600
   Too many variables in your experiences to draw any solid conclusions.
  My experience is a bit different:  I rebuilt the engine in a '70 B.
All new innards but the crank and rods.  It got around 20 mpg during the
breakin period (mixed driving) but I couldn't stand the sound of the
engine howling at 4,000 + RPM at road speeds.  So I came by a top-fill
LH overdrive tranny and installed it.  Soon after that we took a trip
from TX to CA and OR.  Drove the coast highways in CA & OR, camped in
Nat'l and state parks.  With two adults and our camping gear aboard, the
B got 25 - 27 mpg for the trip.

   I have a '69 B now that has a fresh engine built to '67 specs and the
same type OD as the '70 had.  It got about the same mileage as the  '70
on a trip from Central TX to NoCal and back.  Same deal ; two adults and
camping gear.  So at least the two cars compare well.

   I really have a tuff time believing 30 mpg from a B without OD at 70+
mph.  Shoot, it's a long stroke engine, with lots of internal friction.
  Those piston speeds are waaay up there at 4K.

   Cheers,

    CR