Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers
From: mark.jones@exxonmobil.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:00:28 -0500
I've got to agree, what maintenance?  My father drove Volvos with ODs for
years, no special maintenance and no extra expense.  When I put an used OD
in my GT two summers ago all I did was remove the side cover and looked for
chipped teeth, put a new screen on the OD unit, and fresh oil.  5,400 miles
later no problems.

It's got to improve milage some, why did they add 5th gear to
transmissions?  I've keep milage records of my GT since I bought it and
prior to installing the OD transmission I averaged 28.7 mpg over 5 years
and 13,000 miles.  Since installing the OD transmission  in the spring of
2006, I have averaged 31.5 mpg over 5,400 miles.  So it would seem to me
that the OD improves fuel milage.  And at todays gas prices I won't be long
getting the cost of the OD back.

The other benefit to an OD is that when cruising along at 70 mph I can hear
myself think.

Is the OD a "feel good" add-on?  You bet it is.

Mark
73 MGBGT

From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>

   You sound like a Twist groupie. (G)  I sent him an Email years ago,
asked him his rationale.  His answer made no sense.  He answered no further
messages.
   Anyway, what maintenance?  You clean the screen now and then, keep the
oil topped up and drive it.

   CR

Bob Howard wrote:
>    My recollection, and it's years old, of John Twist's opinion, was that
there was not enough savings to be had in fuel consumption and engine wear
to offset the additional expense and maintenance of the OD.   That was
years ago, though, when the USA had its 55 mph speed limit, and I suspect
that 55 mph limit was a factor in John's thinking. We could, of course, ask
him directly.
> Bob

add-ons.