[Mgs] Problem found, top-end job completed

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Problem found, top-end job completed
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:15:03 -0800 (PST)
Hey Dudes and Dudettes,

I have completed the top-end job on my '70 MGB (with
the '65 engine).  You might remember that the engine
failed a compression test with an indicated damaged
valve.  The #2 cylinder was down 30psi from the other
three.

The problem turned out to be just as expected but it
was a inlet valve, not a burned exhaust valve causing
the leak.  It seems that the DPO may have installed
new valves and/or seats but never lapped the valves
onto their seats.  The #2 inlet valve is NOT bent. The
seat was just not symmetric, allowing blow-by.

I have since ground the seat to mate properly with the
valve and have lapped all eight valves onto their
seats.  The valves have all been reinstalled and the
head repainted and ready for reassembly.  It sits on
the bench ready to go.

I have cleaned the coke from the piston crowns and
have vacuumed away any loose debris.  Tonight I will
lift the radiator out so I can access the front of the
crankshaft more easily.  I'll then rotate the engine
by hand and clean any remaining crud from the
cylinders.  After a good oiling, it will be almost
reassembly time.  I say 'almost' because a little
painting is in order first...

regards,

rick - bored at work - lindsay