Re: [Mgs] Motor Vibration

To: "Matthew Milkevitch" <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Motor Vibration
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:20:43 -0000
What idle rpm to you have?  I found my UK 73 was always lumpy at the book
figure even on leaded petrol, which got worse on unleaded.  Turning it up
got a smoother idle but then I suffered from severe runon.  Eventually I
fitted an anti-runon valve and now idle it at about 900 instead of the
recommended 750-800.

Also is it firing smoothly on all cylinders?  If not this can be clearly
heard at the exhaust as either a splashy (weak), rhythmic (rich), or
intermittent (ignition or fuel problems) beat.  has it been properly set up
for ignition and mixture?

I'd expect an imbalance to produce harmonic periods of vibration at various
points in the rev range, and not just be at idle.

PaulH.