Re: [Mgs] MGA Head Differences

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA Head Differences
From: James F Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:33:38 -0500
Changing heads among 1500 and 1600 is obviously of no legitimacy
concern, if they are the same anyway.  I wouldn't use an MGB head except
as an extreme last resort given the corresponding compression loss; I
doubt that bigger valves in that head would compensate.  Not worth the
trouble to build something to compensate. That would start getting more
expensive than I would like.

I have a complete Magnette engine that could be rebuilt in to a spare
long block, but I'll need an electronic tachometer to go with it.  I
also have an opportunity to acquire another Magnette engine that has
been partially rebuilt.  That could be helpful to have, but since the
compression of those is lower than the MGA, different pistons would be
in order.

Of course, I have been driving behind some others who have taken much
more liberty with the rules.  And spent more in the process.  No need
for me to do that, especially since my car retains its drum brakes.
Can't go faster than I can stop, or at least I don't want to.

Jim