[Mgs] Cracked frame blues.

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG LIST)
Subject: [Mgs] Cracked frame blues.
From: cyberemp@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 22:27:46 +0000
My fellow listers.
Project 75.5 has apparently been damaged in an accident. the "frame" ( I know,
it's a "unitary body shell" according to my copy of Original mgb, pg. 8)  ahem,
where was I? Oh yes, the  "frame like structure" shows a stress crack just
behind the shock absorber on the drivers (USA version) side, and another on the
corresponding side of the same structure, same side.
   I would say the car has struck  the back of another vehicle, forcing the
structure to bend upwards, "hinging" at a point midway between the mounting
bolts of the cross frame for the front suspension. When it was pushed back into
the correct alignment, the metal that had been bent and re formed into it's
prior shape appears to have suffered a fatigue crack.

    My inquiry to you, my wise and illustrious compatriots, is to garner advice
on the repair of such damage...
    One side shows a weld repair on the crack. I am planning to weld up the
outside of the structure in the same way.
   I think I'll drop the sub frame and check the integrity of the metal in that
part of the frame like structure as well.
    Then, Since I don't think a simple weld will be as strong, I am planning on
cutting some sheet of metal and welding them to the sides of the frame (like
structure), overlapping aproximately three inches on each side of the crack...

     The blues part of this note, (pun intended) comes from the law here in Ca.
where I live, in that any frame damage must be disclosed to the buyer of the
car. Since I bought the car as a "parts car" that didn't apply to the people I
bought it from, though I did have them print on the receipt "car includes an
over-drive"  (which it did not)
   But I'm planning on selling the car as a running vehicle. So I'll have to
disclose this information.

 Ideas on repair?
Thanks in advance.