Re: [Mgs] Fuel tank problem--ideas?

To: "'Ed Woods'" <fogbro1@comcast.net>, "'mg list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fuel tank problem--ideas?
From: "Stuart MacMillan" <macgroup@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:29:44 -0700
Yes, the tank is vented, and I've left the cap off and it makes no
difference.  The pump can't suck fuel out of the tank on a regular basis, so
the suction creates bubbles in the pump, that's what I mean by cavitation.
I think there is some debris in the tank that partially plugs the pick up.

I have a clear filter before the pump, and it doesn't look clogged.  I've
seen this once before in the '80's, when a piece of surgical tubing was
stuffed back into the tank after someone siphoned gas during the last gas
"crisis".  After a few years, the thing dissolved into swollen goo particles
that clogged the pick up intermittently.

I guess 43 years is enough for a gas tank.

Stuart