Re: [Mgs] MG practicality

To: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG practicality
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:47:56 -0700
On Jul 2, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Max Heim wrote:

> What is the big deal with electric windows?
>
> So, it takes 2 seconds to roll up the window instead of 3.5
> seconds? That it
> saves 3 rotations of your wrist? That you have to halfway extend
> your right
> arm to reach the passenger side window?

The biggest advantage about electric windows that I see is that it is
less dangerous for the driver.

Frankly, reaching over to roll up/down the passenger window is
dangerous.  You are at some level concentrating on the window (not
the driving).  Also, the position you must take to adjust the
passenger window is non-optimal, it will be more challenging to
perform defensive driving maneuvers.  It's probably not as unsafe as
talking on a phone while driving (or boozing), but it is an increased
risk just the same.

In my Subaru, I change all 4 windows, all the time.  Electric,
*driver controlled* windows let me do that.  In the MG, the passenger
window is up or down and I do not change that state very often.

Fortunately, the MG cabin is very effective at producing steady in-
cabin air conditions, so I don't feel the need to change the windows
much.  The Subaru has annoying cabin cross-winds depending on how the
much each window is up/down.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
'75 B (at painter), HIF4 carbs

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]