Re: [Mgs] Unsteady timing

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Unsteady timing
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:34:10 -0700
You really need to know both, or you are merely assuming that your advance
mechanism is working as designed.

For instance, if the mechanical advance weights were stuck, your method
would ensure significantly over-advanced timing at idle.

Vice versa for checking at idle only.

Those people who have their idle set at 1800rpm, I don't know what they
think they are checking -- unless they have a complete map of the actual
advance curve for their particular vehicle, the timing reading isn't going
to mean anything. They might as well set it by ear -- in fact, that would be
much more accurate.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149