Re: [Mgs] 1972 MGB Timing

To: Daybell7@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1972 MGB Timing
From: "Richard Ewald" <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 09:21:18 -0700
Steve, your third sentence is a contradiction.
IMHO any engine that won't pull to red line in at least the lower gears is
not running good.  FWIW my '67 will pull to 7,500 RPM+ (Now I freely admit I
have a somewhat non-stock engine, balanced, cam and different needles in the
carbs)
in general, advancing the timing improves power, and lowers coolant temps.
Retarding the timing decreases power and increases coolant temps.  As engine
speed increases, timing needs to advance to keep the power from falling
off.  However there comes a point (different for each engine design) where
additional advance no longer helps.
If I were you, I would set the timing back to factory spec, and then fault
trace why the engine won't pull red line.  Once you have the engine pulling
red line, then try advancing the timing a couple of degrees at a time until
you find the sweet spot of best power, no pre-ignition, and easy starting.
Rick

>>>How can I maximize performance by adjusting the timing?   I have  an
electronic ignition.  The car doesn't run bad, but won't achieve high  rpm
(say