Re: [Mgs] 1972 MGB Timing

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1972 MGB Timing
From: "Richard Ewald" <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:29:48 -0700
Paul,
The reason I mentioned both exhaust temp and coolant temps is that the
effect of timing on both of them is different.
Retarding the timing means the peak pressure and temp inside the combustion
chamber is lower.  Less cylinder pressure means lower combustion temps and
therefore lower exhaust temps.   However since the engine will produce less
power, more heat will be transferred into the coolant.
Advancing the spark, will produce the the opposite effect.  Exhaust gas
temps and peak cylinder pressure will go up, and as more power is being
produced, less heat will be transferred into the coolant.
I suppose it might be possible to advance a running engine to the point that
the coolant temps started to go back up, but I seriously doubt you could
start it that far advanced.
While these differences don't amount to much on an LBC, when you start
looking at modern cars, these differences are critical.  To combat NOX
timing is sometimes retarded to lower exhaust gas temps.  (along with low
compression pistons)  To warm up the engine and get the emissions contol
systems on line, timing is often retarded at cold start.  If the car starts
to overheat, the computer will advance the timing to lower the heat load on
the cooling system.