Re: [Mgs] V8 MGB and wire wheels?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] V8 MGB and wire wheels?
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 17:10:31 -0700
I don't know that there is an inherent conflict between splined wheels and
torque -- look at all those monster Ferraris with Borrani wire wheels with
knockoffs.

The problem is, there are splines and there are splines.

If the splines on your wheels and on your hubs are in perfect condition, and
your knockoffs are tightened correctly, I wouldn't expect that to
necessarily be the site of failure.

But I'm sure we all know someone who has "spun" a hub, and generally on a
less powerful car than a V8.

It seems to me that your choices are to go ahead and try it, and if you have
problems, convert to bolt-on wheels; or to convert to bolt-ons right off the
bat. I don't think there is a magic preventive measure.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149