Re: [Mgs] Head gasket advice

To: "Mark J Bradakis" <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Head gasket advice
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 23:51:21 -0700
I expect to be flamed for this, but when I replaced the leaking head
gasket on my MGA, as well as using a new head gasket (obviously), I
used some of the spray-on gasket goo.

I was unable to remove one of the studs from the block, so was rather
limited in what I could do to the block.  Water was seeping out on the
right-hand side of the block (the distributor side).

It hasn't leaked since. I haven't tried to use a compression tester on
it, but there is nothing to indicate that it is leaking between
cylinders.

On another note: to remove the stud, I tried soaking it in PB Blaster,
applying heat to the stud. None of these shifted it. I dod not want to
apply too much torque to the stud, since snapping it off would give me
a worse problem. What's the secret to getting studs out?

Regards,
Simon